Monday, April 4, 2011

Unplanned Frienship

Last year, my pastor asked for volunteers from a weekly men's leadership group. This wasn't really then men he was asking to help, but their wives. My dear, sweet husband eagerly heard the request and thought maybe I would love to volunteer. The job was mentoring a women in our church. I felt so unqualified. (no don't go telling me about God's gifts,and all that-my husband did already). I quickly told him never to volunteer my name again.

I then began to pray and consult wise counsel. (a woman in another church community that mentors women). I felt so out of touch with this woman. Our connection was we knew one another from childhood. We were raised differently, we lived differently and I just assumed that I would never have a thing in common with her. (not a better than...just a different) Before I even prayed  much about this, this woman called. See that is her personality...Do it! We planned lunch. I prayed and called my wise friend. Both of these were leading me to pursue this relationship. Our lunch came and we enjoyed each other so that we planned another lunch.

It is almost a year and a half later, I should be getting dressed because it is time for lunch with my mentoring friend. See God's plan is so much bigger than we can even realize. My new friend is very different from me, but also we are very much a like. We are both hungering for  a deeper relationship with God. We both long to have families who love Him more. What a blessing!

Our families have even become closer. Her children are younger than ours, but we enjoy one anothers company. They have become like family.  Our Daddy's were best friends; though mine has gone on to Heaven, I realize what God began years ago is still working out in our lives.

I am so grateful for a God who sees beyond my finite mind. A God who knows me better than I know myself. A God who was, who is and who is yet to be! A God who longs to draw us toward Himself through friendship. Thank you, God, for unplanned friendship!

Gifts List # 466-499
*joy of folding/washing clothes for family
*quietness of Mondays
* rain that cancels one activity so less running
*beauty of flowers blooming
*quiet time with God
*girls who seek help and the opportunity to provide it
*kids who voice their opinions
*Godly Principals
*family dinner at home
*new mulch and flowers
*lunch with a new friend who encourages
* opportunity to help kids who need it
*new Bible study with old friends
*opportunity to help my sister
*time with niece and nephew
*a husband who will drive after work to get my niece and nephew
*new tires
*brother-in-law whose heart is OK
*lunch with Wynn and cousins
*opportunity to pour love and Jesus into niece and nephew
*time at the park
*husband who takes kids for fun-indoor swimming
*a day with friends and kids outside
*time for us while Dad is working- that is distracted and busy
*returning niece and nephew safely
* time with kids watching basketball
* sleeping late
*time alone with Philip
*hope in message at church
*kids enjoying time outside with each other
*spring
*small group and lessons that make us think and grow
*Drs. who go the extra mile when they don't have to

No comments:

Post a Comment