Monday, February 28, 2011

Hungry

This year two of our children are in school where many children are just plain hungry. I know that we have a large enrollment in the free and reduced lunch program, but I'm talking about emotional hunger.

My youngest was feeling a little depleted herself. She asked last night when Daddy's lunch hour was. I got the follow-up asking when she realized that he couldn't be her lunch date. I am horrible at thinking of doing this for the kids. I get so caught up in getting things done that I it just never crosses my mind.

Today was different. I stopped the "busy-ness" and grabbed some chicken nuggets (her love language). The smile on her face was huge once she saw me.

Her plan was to eat outside with a friend, but I felt bad for having to leave the 2nd friend out. So we decided to eat inside with the class.

She dove into her bag at lunch. The "hungry" girls begged to sit by me. Each girl had her own question. I realized as one girl interrupted yet again that my daughter was eating her lunch "alone" next to me. This frustrated me as I left (my daughter and I did walk through the book fair together - alone). I realized that my frustration wasn't at the children. I had hugged them, answered questions-told stories. My frustration is with parents-this world. These kids are so hungry. My kids get tucked in at night after a good meal, a bath, family time of some type, but so many kids in our Country go to bed "HUNGRY".

Lord, let us feed your sheep....


My gifts continue...#254-295

*daughter who drives cautiously
*quiet time at home
*a daughter who weighs wise choices and respects others
*lunch with my baby girl
*hugs from school kids that really need them.
*a teacher who is joyful
*green budding forth all over town
*watching people believe in mission of an organization and responding with time and money
*sharing God's message for the night with our kids.
*sharing prayer with friend
*walk that gets heart racing
*warm shower water
*words from women that make you think
*a free cup of my favorite coffee
*children who love the Lord and seek after Him
*a day of rest
*the presence of God with me today
*ability to fold clothes
*cool breezes of Spring
*revelations from God
*a day off from routine
*a husband who prays for me
*a good nights sleep even through a storm
*a day to catch up
*planning birthday parties
*a clean smelling house
*revelations from Your word
*anticipation of a date night
*an honest mother's heart as she aches for her dead son
*conversations that remind me to pray for my children's school more diligently
*Godly friendship and birthday celebrations
*Philip turning on my heating pad before bed
*a day of rest
*an understanding husband
*movie day with baby girl
*a celebration of an announcers long career
*a familiar voice calling the game
*a road win
*family helping when I can't
*relief from pain
*songs of healing (for the heart) after a day of pain
*cool breezes

1 comment: